Recorded - Integrating Macs in a Windows / Active Directory Environment
Convergent Computing (CCO)
It's not just what we do, it's how we do it...
Recorded - "Integrating Macs in a Windows / Active Directory Environment"
Original Event Date: February 5, 2009
Event Location: San Francisco Bay Area
In this free seminar, Rand Morimoto, President of Convergent Computing, author of the Unleashed-series of books from Sams Publishing, and daily user of an Apple MacBook computer shared tips, tricks, and best practices at integrating Mac computers into a Windows / Active Directory environment.
With Apple building Intel chipsets into their Mac computers over the past couple years, and the new Apple OS X Leopard and upcoming Snow Leopard having expanded Window and Active Directory integration capabilities, there are more and more Macs (and iPhones) popping up on the Corporate network where management and integration into a Windows / Active Directory environment becomes more important to IT managers and administrators.
Rand presented and demonstrated:
* Understanding the Apple OS X operating system from the perspective of a Windows user (ie: how to change monitor resolution, format drives, eject a CD, change IP address, etc)
* How to access Windows fileshares from a Mac
* How to “join” an Apple Mac into a Windows Active Directory environment
* How to manage and administer Macs using Active Directory Group Policies (both out of the box, and with 3rd party tools)
* Best practices at administering and managing Macs just like managing and administering Windows-based systems
* How to patch and update Mac computers without having to setup a completely separate and parallel update system for Windows systems and Macs (ie: using MS ConfigMgr to patch both Windows and Mac systems)
* What options are available for running Windows on a Mac computer, and what are the pros/cons of the various options are for compatibility, etc (ie: Bootcamp, Parallels, VMware Fusion, etc)
* How to share printers for both Windows and Mac computers
* Sharing files back and forth between Macs and PCs, which file format to use, how to maintain file level permissions, how to manage mixed environment files
* Remote access options for Mac user’s access to Windows networks (VPN), thin client, and Web access support
* What options are available in administering and managing iPhone’s in a Microsoft Windows and Exchange environment
* etc, etc